About the Malaysian Breast Cancer Council (MBCC)
The MBCC was conceptualised in August 2002. It consists of organisations of women with breast cancer, national associations of healthcare providers for women at risk and women with breast cancer, and professional bodies and agencies with special interest in breast cancer issues.
YB Dato’ Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil, Minister of Women, Family and Community Development is the Patron of the MBCC.
The members of the MBCC include:
Breast Cancer Welfare Association
College of Radiology, Academy of Medicine of Malaysia
National Cancer Society of Malaysia
National Council of Women's Organisations
Malaysian Oncological Society
Cancer Research Initiatives Foundation (CARIF)
medical professionals and others with similar objectives.
Aim and Objectives of the MBCC
The concept of the Malaysian Breast Cancer Council is to ensure that by working together, the various member organisations of the Council will campaign for improvement in breast cancer services. The aim of MBCC is to bring together related government agencies, NGOs, healthcare professionals, the corporate world and interested individuals to support and coordinate activities related to breast cancer on a nationwide basis.
The objectives are:
- To ensure access to information, appropriate screening, early detection, treatment and support for all women.
- To influence the relevant authorities in the development of legislation and policies regarding women at risk and women with breast cancer.
- To encourage, support and engage in research and local studies on various aspects of breast cancer.
In joining forces, the MBCC will be able to:
- Prevent duplication of services and activities
- Maximise resources. This can help revitalize volunteerism, and support services can be more effective
- Standardise systems and influence policies regarding breast cancer
- Facilitate communication and break down barriers between various sectors and agencies involved with breast cancer
- Create a socio-cultural change regarding breast cancer
Protem Committee Members of the MBCC (updated 2 Feb 2006)
President: Ms Ranjit Kaur, breast cancer survivor, President, Breast Cancer Welfare Association
Vice President: Prof Dr Yip Cheng Har, Consultant Breast Surgeon, Member of Academy of Medicine Malaysia
Dr Ibrahim Wahid, Consultant Clinical Oncologist, President of Malaysian Oncological Society
Dr Ednin Hamzah, Palliative Care Physician and CEO of Hospis Malaysia
Contact address of MBCC:
Malaysian Breast Cancer Council
c/o Breast Cancer Welfare Association
5th Floor, Bangunan Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
16 Jalan Utara
46200 Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Tel: +603 7954 0133
Click Here to send E-mail to MBCC
Curb False Advertising for Cancer Detection
“The rampant advertising and reporting of scientifically unproven methods of screening, diagnosis and treatment to the public accompanied by wrong information and false promises of accurate detection of cancers is a blatant crime."
Get the full text of Ms Ranjit Kaur’s speech at the Novartis-MBCC Breast Cancer Leadership Award Presentation 2005.
The Inaugural Novartis-MBCC Breast Cancer Leadership Award 2005 – 5 Dec 2005
Leadership award 2005 was to encourage and applaud advocacy efforts in breast cancer. Dr Evelyn Ho received a trophy of excellence and the Malaysian Breast Cancer Council (MBCC) received RM 10,000 from Novartis. Four individuals were acknowledged for outstanding contributions in the fight against breast cancer.
Click here for more